Post Title: Trainee Weaver (Heritage Fund: Heritage Skills Trainee)
Contract: 1 year
Hours: 37.5 hours to include weekend working
Reporting to: Visitor Experience Manager
Job purpose: The trainee programme supports young people to develop the skills they need to secure and succeed in employment. This one-year training position would cover weaving, weaving design, guiding, engineering (of the machinery) and marketing.
Download the Role Profile and Person Specification
Download the Application Form
Whitchurch Silk Mill is looking for a Trainee Weaver who is keen to learn about making silk on their Victorian machinery. As a working museum we are looking for someone with a practical hands on approach with a genuine interest in heritage and weaving silk on tappet and dobby looms. During this one year training post the trainee will learn how to wind, warp and weave and work in this working museum in the heart of the Hampshire countryside.
The Trainee Weaver will receive
- a full time, paid placement £18,000 pa
- training in the operation of a Grade Two* listed Silk Mill, including winding, warping, weaving and the operation of a visitor attraction
- time to study
- work alongside the Senior Weaver, Mill Engineer and the Mill team
- learn about all aspects of silk production on our historic machinery
- develop skills, such as guiding and working in a visitor attraction
To apply, please complete the application form and send with a covering letter by 5pm on Monday 26th August 2019.
Please do not send portfolios / photographs