Join The Guild
Membership: How to join
Have you thought of joining our Guild?
- Are you are interested in all manner of textiles, from spinning raw yarn to creative weaving, dyeing or tapestry weaving?
- Do you enjoy learning more about textiles from professional makers and visiting textile organisations?
- Are you interested in textile collections and history?
- Would you like to learn and try out crafts at practical workshops?
- Do you want to meet and share experience and knowledge with other people?
The London Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers involve activities in all of these areas.
Our monthly speakers range from acclaimed professional weavers like Margo Selby and Ptolemy Mann- to leading figures in the field of dyeing such as Isabella Whitworth. Hillu Liebelt has talked about her tapestry weaving experiences here and in Japan. Our spinners welcomed speakers such as John Arbon from John Arbon Textiles and for those who are pushing the boundaries in this ancient craft Irem Arig from Sheep of Steel entertained and inspired us all. We have visited textile collections at the V&A, British Museum and the Gainsborough Silk Mill.
There is a wealth of knowledge in our membership, which can be tapped into at our meetings through contact with and presentations from members. We welcome keen and interested beginners-we have an informative quarterly magazine, a library, a web site and active Weaving, Spinning, Dyeing and Tapestry Interest Groups who explore their crafts and discuss and learn together.
Anyone interested in the crafts of handweaving, handspinning or dyeing may apply to join the London Guild, and we welcome new members. The latest (2016/17) annual subscription for ordinary members (both UK and overseas) is £25.00, and there is a £2.00 once-only joining fee for new members.
Students and younger members are more than welcome too, and we have a special student membership category (for those aged under 18 or if over 18 on production of a full-time student card) for which there is an annual subscription of £12.50 and a £2.00 joining fee.
If you prefer to use PayPal, there is an additional £1 added to these fees.
Each meeting costs £3.50 to members, including tea and coffee. Non-members pay £7.00 so if you visit 4 or more times in a year you have paid for your membership. Student members can attend meetings for free on production of their full time student card.
You can email the Membership Secretary here.
2017 Membership Form
Here is the link to the downloadable application form:
If you wish to pay by:
- direct bank transfer: make your payment using the details on the form and return the completed form by e-mail or post to the membership secretary
- cheque: prepare your cheque using the details on the form and return the cheque along with the completed form by post to the membership secretary
- PayPal: use the appropriate link below which will guide you book through the membership form and through the PayPal process; your details are automatically forwarded to the membership secretary so you do not have to complete a separate membership form